A Public Education Leader
- Working with college and high school students to fight sexual assault and sexual harassment, worked on a resolution addressed to the Governor, Speaker Pro-Tem and the State Assembly to advocate for prevention.
- Advocating for all student rights and particular support for the Dreamers and Veterans.
- Fighting for Legislation to raise awareness of the challenges students uniquely face
- Raising funds to increase scholarships for Peralta students
Karen graduated from Emerge California, an organization dedicated to helping Democratic women run for office, and holds memberships in these organizations:
- American Association for University Women
- East Bay Women’s Political Caucus
- Co-Chair, Affirmative Action Committee, California Democratic Party
- Executive Board Member, California Democratic Party
- Elected Alameda County Democratic Central Committee Member
- National Parks Conservation Association
- Berkeley Public Schools Fund
- Sierra Club